Call us now: 01962 217640


Ex-pat Divorce and International Family Law

Unlike many solicitors' practice we only handle divorce and family law and are specialists in this field. You will have direct access to an experienced divorce solicitor who will provide you with clear and practical legal advice throughout the process for all aspects of your divorce including your home, your children, your money, your business and your pension. We aim to guide you through your divorce with appropriate sensitivity.

We deal with divorces for UK residents, ex-pats and foreigners residing in the UK who are entitled to bring proceedings in England and Wales. International elements can bring complexity to divorces. This is a complex area of law and it is essential to seek early specialist advice.

Joanne Houston is a Resolution accredited specialist in international family law, one of only a small number of divorce solicitors in England and Wales  and offers fixed rate ex-pat divorce packages (Visit Site).

We have experience in dealing with:

  • Divorces for expats including advice on the country in which proceedings should be issued. Swift action will be needed if there is a rush to issue in your jurisdiction of choice
  • Property disputes involving foreign assets, property and businesses
  • Issues relating to payment of maintenance where the child or payer lives abroad
  • Emergency financial applications
  • Registration variation and enforcement of UK orders abroad and foreign orders in the UK
  • Pre-nuptial agreements for couples, one of whom may be resident overseas and advice on the enforceability of foreign pre-nuptial agreements
  • Financial applications in England following a foreign divorce
  • Child arrangements for children with a parent overseas
  • Skype mediation on child arrangements where one parent is overseas
  • Hague Convention proceedings
  • Wardship proceedings
  • Moving abroad with children.
  • International parental child abduction

Our reported cases:

NG v OG (2014) EWHC 4182

S v S (2014) EWHC 575 (Fam)

We cannot advise on the law in the foreign jurisdiction but can liaise with foreign lawyers where necessary.

Time differences need not cause problems as we are pleased to arrange telephone or skype conferences with you if you are overseas at times convenient to you.

For more information view our divorce fact sheet.


Request information

Latest from the blog:

When Parents and Doctors Disagree About a Child's Medical Treatment

When Parents and Doctors Disagree About a Child's Medical Treatment

A seriously ill child, what could be more heart breaking? But it’s even more heart breaking when parents can’t agree with the doctors about ...

Read more on our blog

What our clients say