Can I Refuse Financial Disclosure

Can I Refuse Financial DisclosureI understand why sometimes clients ask, “Can I refuse financial disclosure.” Your relationship has broken down and now your ex, or your ex’s solicitors, are asking intrusive questions. You object because:

  • you’ve already reached a perfectly sensible agreement between you, or
  • you want your business, inheritance or pension left out of the settlement.

There’s a lot at stake so make sure you get expert legal advice

Why is financial disclosure requested

You’ll only know you’re getting a fair share of the matrimonial income and assets if you understand their extent. Your ex’s solicitor will be advising your ex the same. However this doesn’t mean your ex automatically gets a share of everything. When you disclose you can argue an asset is non matrimonial, for example:

  • an inheritance postdating the relationship breakdown, or
  • a pension you built up before the marriage.

See my blog Ring fence and protect assets on divorce

Further, if your business is small and represents your income, it’s unlikely it’ll be thrown into the mix. See my blog How to protect business on divorce.

What if you’ve already agreed a financial settlement

Did you know that the Court won’t make an order without seeing a Statement of Information for Consent Order. This is a Court form containing basic financial information about both of you.

What is a “Statement of Information for Consent Order” and why is it necessary

This document contains the following information from both of you:

  • details of marriage/civil partnership
  • dates of birth
  • financial agreement
  • summary of means
  • capital
  • income

The Court checks this document to make sure your financial agreement is fair and reasonable.

What if you provide inaccurate disclosure or hide assets?

See my blog Financial Disclosure on Divorce – 10 Things You Need to Know. This tells you about:

  • costs consequences, and
  • adverse inferences, and
  • the worst case scenario, being found to be “in contempt of Court”, and
  • the ultimate sanction, imprisonment.

Why do you need a consent order?

For more about consent orders and how to get one see my blog How do I get a consent order

Can I refuse financial disclosure

Contact Family Lawyer Joanne Houston on 01962 217640 for an initial consultation on Can I Refuse Financial Disclosure. In this 20 minute session she will review your situation and how you can achieve your objectives.

JUST FAMILY LAW are specialist divorce and family lawyers. We offer Pay as you go costs. We offer Collaborative law solutions tailored to your family’s needs.

The topics covered in this blog post Can I Refuse Financial Disclosure are complex. They are provided for general guidance only. If any of the circumstances mentioned in this blog apply to you, seek expert legal advice.

image for Can I Refuse Financial Disclosure Runner in Chicago by Kyle Cassidy on WikimediaThis image has been changed.

Read the article

What does Brexit No Deal Mean for Family Law?

What does Brexit No Deal Mean for Family Law

What does Brexit No Deal Mean for Family Law?

How will a ‘No deal’ Brexit affect my family law case?

This blog is for you if you are a UK/EU family, and it also applies to anyone from anywhere in the world who has a pension here. If you are in Northern Ireland your situation might be slightly different to England and Wales and you should speak to your lawyer. Similarly Scotland.

If you are a family lawyer seeking information, download guidance from the Law Society, “Joint Resolution and Law Society note to family lawyers in England and Wales of practical recommendations in the circumstances of no deal on EU exit”.

What should I do?

Take advice from an expert international family lawyer immediately. Why? It might be important for your case to be started and finished before Brexit because it might be difficult afterwards. And it could be your Court order might not be recognised or enforceable afterwards.

Obviously there are many countries involved and there isn’t a one size fits all answer. Your lawyer may need to speak to a lawyer in another EU country.

Should I start my divorce before Brexit?

EU rules contain a “first past the post” rule for starting divorces. After Brexit, divorces will be on the basis of “closest connection”. So if it’s important for you to divorce here and “closest connection” might not work, you better start before Brexit. But recognition of your divorce in EU member states may differ depending on the state involved. So you might need to finish before Brexit too.

What about recognition of UK divorces in EU member states?

Divorces are likely to be recognised in some but not all remaining EU countries. If recognition of your divorce is important for you, take advice immediately. For example, do you intend to live or work or buy property in a member state? Are you going through a same sex divorce?

What’s the solution? Make sure the divorce is finalised before Brexit.

How do I get divorced before Brexit? 

The petition is issued in the Court and served on your ex, your ex acknowledges it, you fill in the statement in support, the decree nisi is pronounced by the Court. Six weeks and one day later you make an application for the decree absolute. This brings your marriage to an end.

In a hurry? Apply to the Court to abridge time for the whole process or to obtain the decree absolute earlier.

After the decree absolute comes the certificate …

You will need to complete the certificate before Brexit too, and you will need to file the certificate in the Court of the member state. Speak to an expert international family lawyer about certificates and how to apply for them.

What about maintenance?

If you want to be sure a maintenance order is recognised or enforced in another EU member state after Brexit, get it made by the Court beforehand. If there isn’t agreement between you, time is getting short to list the final hearing before Brexit, and time should also be allowed to register (‘exequatur’) the order before Brexit. How long will this take? Depends which member state is involved. Speak to an expert international family lawyer as soon as possible.

This applies not only to maintenance cases involving other EU member states but also within the UK; eg in English/Scottish divorces.

We don’t live in England or Wales, but one of us comes from there …

This is called “sole domicile”. Things might get better for you after Brexit if you have a needs based claim for maintenance. This applies to claims involving countries the world over, not just the EU. Talk to an expert international family lawyer about whether this applies to you, and the possibility of adjourning your case until afterwards.

The pension is in the UK but I’m not …

You want a pension sharing order of a pension in the UK but you don’t live here and you don’t come from here. Article 7 of the EU Maintenance Regulation looks after you by providing a “forum of necessity”. But this will go after Brexit. See your lawyer about an urgent application to be made before Brexit.

Children …

An EU provision called “Brussels II” allows contact orders and orders for the return of children to be enforced in the remaining EU countries. But a certificate has to be obtained when the order is made. This is a similar certificate to that required in the recognition of divorces, as above.

In other children cases, such as residence, the process is different. As in the case of finances, the order must be registered (the “exequatur” process).

If it’s important to get the order before Brexit, factor in how long it will take to get the certificate, or to complete the registration, too.

What does Brexit No Deal Mean for Family Law?

Contact Family Lawyer Joanne Houston on 01962 217640 for an initial free of charge consultation on the question What does Brexit No Deal Mean for Family Law? In this 20 minute session she will review your situation and how you can achieve your objectives.

JUST FAMILY LAW are specialist divorce and family lawyers. We offer Pay as you go costs. We offer Collaborative law solutions tailored to your family’s needs. 

The topics covered in this blog post What does Brexit No Deal Mean for Family Law? are complex. They are provided for general guidance only. If any of the circumstances mentioned in this blog apply to you, seek expert legal advice.

image for What does Brexit No Deal Mean for Family Law? Worried People by Magdalena on Wikimedia

Read the article

Can I Get a Divorce Online?

Can I Get a Divorce Online

Can I Get a Divorce Online?

Yes, of course. The options are:

But did you know that a solicitor can do your divorce for you, often for less than you think?

I want a quick and cheap online divorce

Things to watch out for:

  • Are they properly qualified?  Don’t rely on untrained and unqualified people
  • Don’t go so quickly that you forget to protect your share of the matrimonial finances. There’s the family home, and you don’t want to miss out on pensions or the family business either. See my blog Quick divorce or safe divorce?
  • Have you agreed the arrangements for the children?
  • Neither arrangements for the children nor matrimonial finances are addressed in divorce proceedings. Check out your rights with a properly qualified family lawyer. Fixed fees or pay as you go costs are available.

How do I know the online service providers are properly qualified?

Good question. Expert legal help is important but the terminology is confusing: lawyer, solicitor, barrister, paralegal, chartered legal executive, collaborative lawyer, mediator. What does it all mean?

“Lawyer” can mean solicitor, barrister, or indeed any of the above.

A solicitor is highly qualified and experienced and can advise you and represent you in Court. You can find a good one online at Resolutionan organisation of family lawyers who believe in a constructive, non-confrontational approach.

A barrister can advise you and represent you, but usually your solicitor instructs them, rather than you.

A collaborative lawyer works with you, your partner and their lawyer in face to face negotiations to resolve your family disputes. Collaborative family law can help you shape your own future after divorce, and avoid the heartbreak of Court proceedings.

A mediator can help you and your partner work things out together. They can help you identify the issues between you and help you resolve them. Find a good one at Resolution

A chartered legal executive is similar to a solicitor but tends to have trained in only one area of the law, and must be supervised. Find a chartered legal executive on the CILEx website. Incidentally, the title “legal executive” can be misleading. Check whether they are actually chartered or not.

A paralegal has some legal training but is not a solicitor or chartered legal executive. Find a paralegal on the Professional Paralegal Register

You say go to a solicitor, but they cost too much

Not always! Family solicitors usually offer initially free advice, fixed fees, payment plans or pay as you go. See the How we charge page on our website. Compare these to the charges for online divorce – you might be pleasantly surprised. You will have the assistance of a properly qualified and experienced solicitor with personal knowledge of your case. And if your solicitor is local, you can actually meet her.

Why should I consult a solicitor?

  • A divorce doesn’t sort out the finances or the children. These are separate.
  • Things can get complicated – hidden assets, the risk of child abduction
  • A family solicitor will drop everything to protect you and your children
  • Decisions about property, pensions etc will affect the rest of your life

Can I talk to a proper solicitor please?

Yes, of course.  Joanne Houston at Just Family Law would be delighted to help you. And talking to a solicitor doesn’t mean you can’t have a DIY divorce.

I want a life beyond divorce

Then think about collaborative family law or mediation.

Family consultants who practise as counsellors or life coaches can help manage the separation and can be directly involved in the collaborative law process too.

Everyone is entitled to expert, professional advice

So certainly look online, but don’t forget to protect your future and the future of your children by organising a free or fixed cost interview with a family law solicitor.

It’s like when you’re organising a holiday. However independent you want to be in your travel plans, you don’t want to fly the plane yourself. There’s an experienced pilot for that.

Can I Get a Divorce Online?

Contact Family Lawyer Joanne Houston on 01962 217640 for an initial free of charge consultation on the question Can I Get a Divorce Online? In this 20 minute session she will review your situation and how you can achieve your objectives.

JUST FAMILY LAW are specialist divorce and family lawyers. We offer Pay as you go costs. We offer Collaborative law solutions tailored to your family’s needs. 

The topics covered in this blog post Can I Get a Divorce Online? are complex. They are provided for general guidance only. If any of the circumstances mentioned in this blog apply to you, seek expert legal advice.

image Una luz entre las sombras by Andres Nieto Porras on Wikimedia

Read the article

6 Things You Need To Know About “Common Law Marriage”

common law marriage partner1.   There’s no such thing as common law marriage but there are steps you can take to protect yourself. Couples who live together have only a fraction of the protection afforded to those who are married.

2.   Unless your home is in joint names, and there’s a declaration of trust, there’s no automatic right to a share, or a fair share. If the worst comes to the worst it may be possible to come to an agreement by negotiation, mediation or collaborative law (or even by going to court) but it’s a legal minefield.

3.   Update your Wills regularly. If your partner doesn’t leave a Will you may end up with nothing and face a complicated and expensive application to the court with no guarantee of the outcome you expected.

4.   Children of separating cohabitees are treated the same when it comes to arrangements for where they’re going to live and who they’re going to see, and the Child Maintenance Service (the Child Support Agency) can help if the absent parent isn’t paying up. But there are significant differences when it comes to lump sum payments, property orders and extra maintenance, and there are special provisions under Schedule 1 of the Children Act.

5.   Nowadays pensions are of utmost importance. Would you be entitled to your late partner’s pension? It’s not guaranteed so don’t leave anything to chance, find out now.

6.   A cohabitation agreement offers some protection but will need regular updating and won’t be binding in court proceedings, particularly if there’s a change in circumstances such as the arrival of children. It also won’t cover for example your entitlement to your partner’s pension if your partner dies before you.

Phone me on 01962 217640 for a free 20 minute consultation on these important issues.

JUST FAMILY LAW are specialist divorce and family law solicitors offering personalised legal solutions.

Visit our website

The topics covered in this blog post are complex and are provided for general guidance only. If any of the circumstances mentioned in this blog might have application to you, you should seek expert legal advice.

Pair of Mandarins by Francis C. Franklin on WikiMedia Commons

Read the article